Adding value to people is so essential. Intentionally. Every day. Adding Value. Lifting people. It’s the core of leadership.
You could have heard a pin drop when John Maxwell spoke those words at the 2016 Global Leadership Summit. We were collectively drawn in.
Because we could all relate. Every person assembled had likely been impacted by a value-adding leader and possibly wounded by a value-detracting one.
And because we could apply it to our everyday lives. We all have the ability to add value on the jobsite, with their families and in their neighborhoods and churches. John even talked about how his father added value to people in his nursing home.
Leadership, if you boil it down, is about “Adding Value to People.”
So simple. Yet so profound.
As a GLS community, during the month of May we will focus on the topic of Adding Value to People. Here’s how you can follow along.
- BRAND NEW! Download and listen to Episode 001 of the new GLS podcast. In this inaugural edition, Bill Hybels discusses how he adds value to the people he leads—as well as the impact John Maxwell has had on his own life.
• To subscribe, listen, and watch the podcast, click here.
- Download the podcast shownotes. Included in the shownotes is a short summary with key takeaways, a list of links to resources mentioned in the podcast and reflection questions for you and your team.
- Gain new perspectives on the Follow the GLS Blog Every week, look for new insights on Adding Value to People from trusted voices in the GLS extended family. This month, we will feature posts from:
• Hannah Gronowski, founder and director of GenerationDistinct.com
• Mark Miller, best-selling author and vice president of High Performance Management, Chick-fil-A
• Jenni Catron, writer, speaker and leadership coach
• Sheila Heen, founder of Triad Consulting Group and faculty member at Harvard Law School
The depth of our leadership impact is measured, not simply by the tasks we accomplish, but by how we encourage and build into people throughout the process.
So let’s spend this month intentionally adding value to people.
Liz Driscoll is the director of Year-Round & Digital Content for Willow Creek Association. Passionate about ideas and the local church, she carries a deep conviction that fired-up, Christ-centered leaders can change the world. She oversees content for GLSnext, The GLS Podcast, Follow the GLS blog, and is the content director for the Study Guide of Bill Hybels’ most recent release, Leading from Here to There.