How do we lead in an era of run-away divisiveness and disrespect?
Those of you who know me can predict my response to the question.
The solution has to begin with me.
– Bill Hybels
At the GLS 2017, Bill Hybels discussed the challenge of leadership in a divisive and disrespectful culture. And he called leaders to step up to the highest levels of civility and respect.
September is Civility & Respect month on our GLS platforms. Here’s how you can utilize our platforms to increase your leadership skill in this topic.
- NEW! Download and listen to Episode 009 of the GLS Podcast. In this episode, Andy Stanley and Jeff Lockyer share their reactions to Bill’s message in a backstage interview recorded behind-the-scenes at GLS 2017. You won’t want to miss this timely and insightful discussion. To watch or listen click here.
- Gain new perspectives on the Follow the GLS Every week in September, watch for original posts on Civility & Respect from trusted voices in the GLS family. This month, we will feature posts from:
- Tim Parsons, lead pastor of The Journey Church
- Scott Cochrane, vice president of international ministries, Willow Creek Association
- Jenni Catron, writer, speaker and leadership coach
- Brené Brown, researcher and storyteller
- Revisit Bill Hybels’ 10 Rules of Respect. Consider reviewing the rules and creating a covenant with your team.
In this era of divisiveness and disrespect, the world is longing for leaders who will raise the tone of discourse and call people to a higher level of respect. As leaders of faith, we do not get to choose whom we will respect. We are called to lead in a manner that is above reproach—no matter what the culture is doing around us.
So let’s roll up our sleeves in September, and grow our skills in Civility & Respect.
Liz Driscoll is the director of Year-Round & Digital Content for Willow Creek Association. Passionate about ideas and the local church, she carries a deep conviction that fired-up, Christ-centered leaders can change the world. She oversees content for GLSnext, the GLS Podcast, Follow the GLS blog, GLS GrowthTracks and is the content director for the Study Guide of Bill Hybels’ most recent release, Leading from Here to There.